Tuesday, June 22, 2010

19 - Arctic Monkeys



The next time that I caught my own reflection
It was on it's way to meet you


At number 19 is Britain's, Arctic Monkeys. There are a lot of bands on this countdown that I know not everyone will like, but I really find it hard for someone to not like this band if they give them a chance.

Wiki - Arctic Monkeys are an English indie rock band. They come from High Green, a suburb of Sheffield. Formed in 2002, the band currently consists of Alex Turner (lead vocals, guitar), Jamie Cook (guitar), Nick O'Malley (bass guitar, backing vocals), Matt Helders (drums, backing vocals) and John Ashton as a touring member (keyboard, guitar, backing vocals). Former members include Andy Nicholson (bass guitar, backing vocals) and Glyn Jones (lead vocals, guitar).

Their debut album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, released in early 2006, became the fastest-selling debut album in British music history, surpassing Oasis's Definitely Maybe and remains the fastest-selling debut album for a band in the UK. Since then the band have released two more albums: Favourite Worst Nightmare (2007) and Humbug (2009). The band is currently in the studio, recording their fourth album, expected to be released in 2011.




Discography -

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (2006)*
Favourite Worst Nightmare (2007)
Humbug (2009)
*-best album


Top Arctic Monkeys songs

10 Mardy Bum
9 Fake Tales of San Francisco
8 Brianstorm
7 The View from the Afternoon
6 Crying Lightning
5 Cornerstone
4 Still Take You Home
3 I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor
2 Flourescent Adolescent
1 A Certain Romance

Arctic Monkeys are heralded as one of the first acts to come to the public attention via the Internet (fan-based sites rather than from the band), with commentators suggesting they represented the possibility of a change in the way in which new bands are promoted and marketed.


Quotes:

"It's ever so funny, I don't think you're special I don't think you're cool
You're just probably alrite, but under these lights you look beautiful" - Still Take You Home





next up: a band I saw (very briefly) this past spring break

No comments:

Post a Comment