Monday, September 21, 2009

Phone Screening, Backspacers, and Football

So maybe you want to hear more about my life. Well, you’ve come to the right place. Unless you didn’t want to hear about my life, but then I’d have to ask, why would you visit my blog? Either way, I’ll let you in on what’s up, since demand from the close-to-but-not-quite-double-digits number of people who read my blog has been moderately high recently. And by “high”, I mean the casual “dude, you still write in your blog?”

Well, I suppose a few notable things have happened since I’ve last done an “update” post…

I guess the biggest/most significant thing going on in my life right now is the fact that I have landed an internship. I intern Mondays and Wednesdays at a sports talk radio station located in Baltimore, MD called 105.7 the Fan. So far it’s been really cool, I get to see firsthand how a radio station functions, and during the mid-afternoon program I get to screen the phone calls, which basically means I answer the phone lines and ask people their name, location, and what they want to talk about. Then I write it down on a computer (99.9% of the time I’m writing “[insert male hood name here]”, “Baltimore” or suburban area, and “Ravens game”) and put them on hold until the host gets to take their call.

The weekend was pretty fun. I really only had one thing to do all weekend, which was laundry. Yet somehow, I successfully managed to not get it done all weekend. I know. I’m that good. It’s actually not as bad as it seems, because I didn’t do it Friday because… well no one ever does anything on Fridays…am I right? Especially if you only have ONE thing to do. You have all weekend to do it, why cram? Saturday I didn’t have time to do it, because this past Saturday was Craig’s Fest, which I won’t explain what it is if you don’t know (sorry... not really), but just know that it is an all day event of some sort of activity that prevents you from the capability to perform certain necessity-driven tasks. Yep, you guessed it. It’s an all day middle england jousting tournament. Anyway, Sunday I watched football all day, sooo when exactly did I have time for laundry? Huh? You tell me…

Moving on, as you may have heard, one of my friends Matt, who I am lucky to have known from both high school and college, received most horrible news last week as his father passed away this past Wednesday. I would appreciate it if you would keep him and his family in your thoughts/prayers.

Shifting gears, the NFL season is well upon us. And after two games, my Denver Broncos are 2-0. This is very hard to explain, given the drama which the offseason brought. However, our defense has shown vast improvements since last year with the addition of Brian Dawkins, Andre Goodman, and Ronald Fields, along with veterans Elvis Dumervil, D.J. Williams, and Champ Bailey to go with the play of rookie Robert Ayers. We have only played the Browns and Bengals so far, but we have held them to a combined 13 points, so unless Indianapolis shuts out Miami tonight, we will have given up the least amount of points after two weeks.

The offense has looked a lot better in week two than in week one. Rookie Knowshon Moreno and free agent acquisition Correll Buckhalter both ran for 70+ yards on Sunday and Kyle Orton threw for 263 yards on Sunday with (wait for it) no interceptions so far on the season.
Other teams that looked good in week 2 include the Ravens, Jets, 49ers, Falcons, and Saints, all of whom have looked impressive thusfar in the young season (all also 2-0).

In other sports, the Phillies’ magic number is: 6. Six more wins or Marlins/Braves losses and the Phillies will be in the playoffs looking to defend their World Championship. Needless to say, I cannot wait for October.

By the way, I have tickets to the Phillies game against the Astros on Wednesday September 30, (possibly a night when they could clinch…) and am still up in the air about going. Let me know if you would be down on going (only if I can stand you), or if you and a friend or 2 people you know would be interested in going and I will sell them to you for the read-my-blog discount of $25 bucks each (4th row, second level, right field).

From sports to music, September has been solid. Two new CDs came out in the past 7 days… Muse’s fifth album, “The Resistance” came out on the 15th, from what I have heard it is really good (I have not yet picked it up, though I have listened to the whole thing through once). Also, Pearl Jam’s ninth studio album, “Backspacer” came out on Itunes and at Target on the 20th. You could pre-order it on their website (obviously this is the route I went) and I received it on Friday. However, the post office here updates packages at the end of the day, not when I checked at noon… and is closed all weekend, so I did not receive until this morning. Having listened to it a couple times, I am really impressed, and it has lived up to my expectations, despite them being ridiculously high since I’ve been looking forward to this album for basically all of this year. Now to see them in Philly during the last week of October……… They have rapidly become one of my top 3 favorite bands, which if you know me is a tremendous feat.

Finally, only a month until my sister’s wedding! I am really excited for them and can’t imagine how excited they must be.

That’s all for now my pretties. I’m gonna go eat a tasty peanut butter and ranch sandwich. Long story…

1 comment:

  1. wohoo thanks for the life update! (1) awesome about the internship- congrats! sounds fun (2) was craigs fun? i was home and my friends did not go. (3) the news of matts dad was really upsetting. such a cool kid/awesome family. (4) no one cares about the broncos (5) im busy on september 30th or else id make you take me. (6) that is all i have to say about that...have a good day my friend

    ReplyDelete