Sunday, October 9, 2011

NFL Handicapper Week 5


Eagles at Bills (+2.5) 
I am all for the Bills being good this year.
Also, if you want to be crowned a world champion, the easiest way to do so is to beat a Philadelphia sports team in the playoffs.  Seriously.  This formula has worked for now the Yankees, SF Giants, Packers, Penguins, Blackhawks, and Bruins.  In the spirit of that, and the fact that the baseball playoffs are pretty wide open, and the fact that both the Brewers and Tigers have looked very beatable this postseason, I’m also going with Cardinals in 6, Rangers in 6, and then Cardinals in 7.
Pick: Bills (and to win)

Bengals at Jaguars (-2.5)
Andy Dalton versus Blaine Gabbert.  From those names two years ago I would have guessed that this would be a first round tennis match for the right to play Rafael Nadal. Actually, come to think of it, those are two great tennis names.  I’m not even sure why I’m sticking with this but it just sounds right to me.
Pick: Bengals (and to win)

Titans at Steelers (-7.5)
Chris Johnson has done almost nothing so far this year.  He does not figure to do much again this week against the Steelers defense.  Also, the Steelers offensive line problems are so bad that Ben Roethlisberger has more protection with coeds than he does in the pocket.  Yeah, take that, Ben.
Pick: Titans

Raiders at Texans (-6.5)
Al Davis passed away yesterday.  (moment of silence).  I guess that means Hue Jackson’s job is just a little bit safer than it was the day before.
Pick: Raiders

Cardinals at Vikings (-2.5)
I like the Vikings to finally win. 
Also, props to the Arizona Diamondbacks for having a great season, and showing some life in the series against the Brewers.  I miss when my baseball team had little pressure on them to win, and am secretly jealous that while our seasons ended up with the same result, their fans can feel good about it, while I am stuck thinking that I just saw the last hurrah of the Phillies’ playoff runs. 
Pick: Vikings

Saints at Panthers (+5.5)
I love picking the Panthers with points.  Cam Newton might not be winning many games, but he is winning games against the spread, and that’s really all that matters, right?
Pick: Panthers

Seahawks at Giants (-9.5)
The NFC East is quite weak this year.  The Giants have only really looked good in one game so far this year.  Of course, that’s one more than the Seahawks have looked good in, but still.
Pick: Giants

Bucs at 49ers (-1.5)
These two teams are both 3-1.  Are either of them for real? I actually think so, but the Niners have more of a chance to make the playoffs thanks to being in the NFC West.  Also, on Monday night the Rays and Bucs both played at home…I’m not sure how the fans there were able to choose which game to not go to.
Pick: Bucs (and to win)

Jets at Patriots (-9.5)
I’ll be honest, I didn’t watch most of the Jets/Ravens game last Sunday, but I did flip back during a commercial in the Phillies game.  In that short amount of time, I saw Flacco throw an interception, and then on the next play I saw Sanchez throw a pick-6.  So, yeah, I pretty much saw that game in a nutshell.
Pick: Jets

Chargers at Broncos (+4.5)
Sometimes being a sports fan is cruel.  Like, in the span of 7 days, my teams (Broncos and Phillies, for those of you who don’t know) went a combined 1-4 with the lone win coming on pinch-hit Ben Francisco home run.  But sometimes you just have to believe things will go your way even though you have no evidence for it whatsoever, thus the way I’m picking this game.
Pick: Broncos (and to win)

Packers at Falcons (+5.5)
The Falcons need this game, especially after what happened to them last year in the playoffs to Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.  Also, a friend of mind posted a fine blog piece on Tom Brady versus Aaron Rodgers and their potential to break 50 passing touchdowns this year.  I thought it was good, but I would add that I think Drew Brees has a better shot than either of them because (a.) he doesn’t have to face the Jets twice a year, (b.) he is only 2 behind Rodgers and 3 behind Brady, (c.) he plays all his home games in a dome whereas Brady and Rodgers will have to play December home games in the cold, and (d.) nobody throws more often than the Saints…in fact their running game consists of Mark Ingram up the middle, and screen passes to Darren Sproles.
Pick: Falcons

Bears at Lions (-5.5)
Hello Mr. Cutler, meet Mr. Suh.
Pick: Lions

Last Week:
Spread: 6-10
Straight Up: 10-6

Overall:
Spread: 33-31
Straight Up: 42-24


No comments:

Post a Comment